Thursday, May 19, 2016

DON'T QUOTE ME ON THAT...



Waitin' for an offsite meeting to wrap up so that I can break down some data equipment.  A speaker just finished up with a quote that he attributed to Winston Churchill, complete with a presentation graphic displayed on the colossal screen behind him.  It was a particularly simple, but eloquent, statement, and I pulled out my phone so that I could copy it down.  Before I could finish, the slide was taken down.  I turned to the Interweb to make sure I had transcribed it correctly- found multiple references immediately.

Funny thing:  This particular quote is often attributed to Churchill, but there is nothin' to prove that he actually said it or wrote it.  No letters.  No speech transcripts.  Nothin'.  Several sites displayin' it as a quote, none givin' reference to anything.

These were good words, placed in a certain order with appropriate punctuation, that expressed a fine sentiment.  But somehow, at some point, someone felt it necessary to attach a famous name to these words in what I can only assume was an effort to give the statement some sort of heightened (inflated?) legitimacy/validity.

So, someone took a perfectly good, even above average, expression of thought and hung a chunk of Bullshit at the end of it.

This was unnecessary, and may well only serve to reduce the impact of a set of good words.  The statement, with the misattribution attached, has become nothin' more than a lie.  Some Bullshit.

Think of how often we're exposed to things like this every day and we never even know it.  The Politicians and the Spin Doctors and the For-Profit Media have figured out just how gullible a huge portion of our citizenry actually is.  And they know that practically anything can be said, no matter how false and absurd, and a large percentage of those that hear it will take it as Absolute Truth.  It can be refuted and proven wrong over and over again, but a great number will still hold on to it and take it as Gospel, especially if it happened to be somethin' that they wanted to believe to begin with.

Disregard for Honesty?  Self-delusion?  Intellectual Sloth or Plain Ol' Stupidity?  Couldn't tell you.  But I would imagine it to be a combination of many, many things, includin' those I've mentioned.

Perhaps, some day, we'll grow bored and embarrassed by our own ignorance and decide to start engagin' our brains enough to cut through the Fog of Lies and Distortions.

But I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.  I've heard that can actually turn you into an atheist...

Fish~

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments welcome. Criticisms and opposing viewpoints extremely welcome. Fish